The code in North Carolina for Rental Property/Lithium Battery Smoke Alarms (S77) was changed in 2011. The code now provides that after December 31, 2012, Landlord shall, when installing a new smoke alarm or replacing an existing smoke alarm, install a tamper-resistant, ten-year lithium battery smoke alarm except in certain cases, and providing that Landlords may deduct from the tenant security deposit damage to a smoke alarm or carbon monoxide alarm, as recommended by the Child Fatality Task Force.
On the Outer Banks, this type of smoke alarm can be purchased at Ace Hardware, Kellogg’s Supply, Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes and even from Amazon online. They range in price from $13 to $50 plus tax.
If Landlords have not already updated their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to comply with this NC Law, we urge you to do IMMEDIATELY! If you are an OBX Housing Landlord or Tenant and have a malfunctioning smoke detector, please call our office NOW! We will have the smoke detector upgraded and replaced immediately.
First Alert Battery Powered 9-Volt Smoke Detector, Model #: SA710CN
- Photoelectric smoke sensing reduces false alarms like those caused by cooking fires and shower steam
- EZ access battery door, no need to remove alarm from ceiling to change battery
- Single button test/silence helps to ensure your alarm is working properly
Kidde 10-Year Sealed Lithium Battery Operated Smoke Alarm, Model # 21009663
Kidde battery operated smoke alarm is powered by sealed, long-life lithium batteries for ten years (the life of the alarm), meaning the alarm is always on. This Smoke Alarm is ideal for the living area. With a sealed, long-life Lithium Battery Smoke Alarm, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your living area Smoke Alarm is always on; 24 hours per day, seven days a week for a decade.
- Kidde 10 year bedroom smoke alarm is maintenance life of the alarm
- Alarm is equipped with test – reset button, tests the circuitry and horn and resets memory after alarm has sounded
- Alarm is under listed and is equipped with a piezoelectric horn that is rated at 85 decibels at 10 ft.
-free; never replace a battery during the alarm’s operating life, in addition to the benefit of maintenance free, batteries are sealed, no need to worry about them being removed
- Goodbye late night low battery chirps, an end-of-life signal tells you when it is time to replace the alarm unit, end of life signal chirps every 30-45 seconds when alarm needs replaced
- Money savings, no batteries to buy and replace every six months!
According to the Residential Rental Contract, Tenants are responsible for changing batteries in the smoke detectors. If the system is malfunctioning, please contact our office to plan to change the system out so everyone is following NC Law.
OBX Housing www.liveintheobx.com firstname.lastname@example.org 252-255-0117