*Have you ever seen those beautiful ads on television for the major brand chemical household cleaners or air fresheners?
Those cleaners and air fresheners promise to keep our homes clean, fresh and smelling like springtime and, who could resist getting rid of 99.9% of household germs? Have you ever considered that having a great smelling home and getting rid of germs could be toxic to your pet’s health?
Almost 25,000 pet poisonings yearly are attributed to toxins found in household cleaning products.
Wild dogs and cats evolved to learn what is safe and what is toxic to consume. But many of our domesticated pets have lost this ability and will lick or drink just about anything even if it’s corrosive, toxic or poisonous.
Dangers Lurking in your Outer Banks Long Term Rental Home
Glass and Counter Cleaners permeate the air and kill germs, but they also contain toxic ingredients like Benzene, Perchloroethylene (an ingredient of dry-cleaning fluid) or dangerous neurotoxins such as Naphtha that get trapped in your home.
Toilet Bowls are our dog’s favorite watering holes but many of the toilet bowl cleaners being used to keep them clean contain, Bleach or Lye and other chemicals classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as Hazardous Waste. Air Fresheners smell great, but one-quarter of air-freshener ingredients are classified as toxic or hazardous. Air Fresheners contain Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) like Pinene, Acetone, Acetate, Ethanol, and D-limonene.
Playing it Safe in your Outer Banks Long Term Rental Home
1. Use natural household cleaners or vinegar and water. Cleanwell and Seventh Generation brands both have Botanical cleaners that kill 99.9% of germs naturally with patented Thyme. Companies like Tersano offer a convenient device that ozonates ordinary tap water making it just as powerful as chemical cleaners but non-toxic and safe for pets and people.
2. If you’re considering natural air fresheners you can find DIY recipes online. Infusing fresh fruit peels into a spray will create a citrus scent. If you’re not a do- it-yourselfer then there are lots of natural products available in health food stores and more recently supermarkets.
3. Simple non- toxic ways to absorb odors include Baking Soda, Bamboo Charcoal or Activated Charcoal which can be placed throughout the home.
4. If you insist on using chemical cleaners, NEVER leave bleach or floor cleaner in a bucket unattended (especially non-diluted). Pets will drink directly out of a bucket which could cause internal burns or poisonings. Smaller dogs and Cats that walk across freshly cleaned floors may lick their paws afterward and consume toxic ingredients, so it is best to keep them off freshly cleaned floors. If you use those toilet bowl cleaners that clean on every flush keep pets out of the restroom and the lid closed. Lastly, keep all toxic cleaners in a safe, secure place out of paws reach and make sure you have good ventilation when cleaning.
5. Read & Research the Labels carefully. Some so-called, “Green” products that have nature type images and use the word, “Green” in their label actually contain chemicals while some orange citrus products are not natural. Good indications that a product is dangerous is if the text on the warning label scares you. Here’s an example. “Not recommended for use by persons with heart conditions, chronic respiratory issues or obstructive lung disease.”
6. All cleaning products or air fresheners should have a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) which you can look up online. This will indicate how safe a product is. Just type in the acronym, “MSDS” and the name of the product you want to search.
A pet that ingests household cleaners may experience seizures, vomiting or severe burning of the mouth, esophagus, and stomach. If you suspect your pet has been poisoned the first plan of attack is going to a nearby veterinarian or calling a poison control hotline.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has a telephone help 24/7 at 1-888-426-4435. Be prepared to notify them what your pet has swallowed, when and their symptoms. There is a chance that you’ll have to pay $65 for the call but some manufacturers of these products cover that cost.
Tip- In your Pet First Aid kit at home keep, Medical Grade Activated Charcoal and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to absorb toxins or induce vomiting. Never administer these products without the advice of a Veterinarian or Poison Control Center expert.
Here’s Something Shocking. Indoor Air Pollution is 2-5 times greater than Outdoor Air Pollution which means short-term inhalation of toxins in the home can create havoc for the immune-compromised and long-term inhalation of toxins is unhealthy for all. Cleaning your home with natural products and keeping it fresh with natural air fresheners is a healthy solution for the entire family.
*=this information provided to OBX Housing by Sancho & Lola’s Closet who sells Premium All-Natural dog treats and chews. www.sanchoandlola.com