Here are a few things you can do to make sure your Outer Banks rental property is ready for a new Tenant!
When OBX Housing receives a Notice to Vacate from your current Tenant (which is typically 30 to 60 days before their lease ends) we begin immediately marketing for a new Tenant. The Outer Banks has a real shortage of long-term rental homes so it really takes very little time find a new Renter. OBX Housing will begin holding appointment only showings at your long-term rental property with one of our Broker’s always
present and we find it only takes 1 showing and we start receiving Rental Applications right away!
The current Tenant is given a checklist with the move out instructions of items that they must complete prior to moving out such as having the carpet professionally steam cleaned and deodorized, change the HVAC filter(s), cut grass, etc. OBX Housing makes an appointment to go to the home about 2 weeks prior to the move out date and perform a Pre Move Out Inspection to make sure things are progressing and so that we have no downtime between Move Out and Move-In day. At this time we will tell the outgoing Tenant what needs to be done at the property and also offer our assistance in coordinating any of these services. OBX Housing can also get a look around and tell the Landlord of any items we see that may need to be done
during turnover or in the future months such as painting, tree trimming, etc. Here’s a list of items we recommend all Owners consider upgrading or repairing during tenancy change out:
- Update ceiling fans and/or light fixtures. Consider purchasing ceiling fans with LED lights and a remote. Many older homes only have 1 switch and pull chains break so a remote control is a much better choice in the long run.
- Update over headlights to modern type fixture. Many of these fixtures now are LED and come with bulbs that can last for 10 to 20 years! Same with outside light fixtures (such as floodlights or entry lights.)
- Change out outlet covers and light switch plates. They will fade and crack over time.
- Change out toilet seats.
- Change out stove top range hoods if old and worn. Make sure it matches current appliances.
- Change out burner pans on stoves with ceramic ones. We really recommend solid surface cooktops as they are much easier to keep clean and modernize your kitchen.
- Interior Painting. Depending on the age of your home you should consider this. NC law says nicks and stains are normal wear and tear, not nail holes. We recommend a tenant use spackle with the primer when filling holes.
- If HVAC returns and grates are old and rusty, change them out or have them painted. This is an inexpensive fix.
It’s important to keep your Outer Banks long term rental property looking good and showing well. Let us
help you, this is a free part of our service that we provide to all OBX Housing clients.